Barry Doyle wrote:

> Can a PWP undergoing surgery take Zofran? The patient in question is
> early 40s. She currently takes:    Sinemet CR 25/100 - 5/day
>                               Parlodel 2.5 mg         - 4/day
>                               Selegeline 5 mg          - 2/day.
>
> She will stop the Selegeline three days before surgery and not restart it
> until 3 days after.
>
> It has been suggested she take 1 Zofran tab the night before surgery,
> Zofran be administered twice intravenously during the surgery/recovery
> period,  plus another tab the evening after her surgery.
>
> She had at least one intravaneous dose (maybe two) of Zofran when she
> underwent another surgery last Nov. ; it was effective at stopping the
> nausea and she experienced no side effects we know of. At the time she
> was taking the Sinemet CR and had stopped her Selegeline dosage three
> days before. She had not starting taking Parlodel.
>
> Thanks.

Barry,
Zofran (also known as ondansetron) is safe for PWPs.  Unlike Compazine,
Reglan, Phenergan or other antinauseants used for surgery-related
nausea, Zofran does not interact with the dopamine receptors.
Zofran blocks serotonin receptors (5-HT3 subtype).
Zofran also has few drug interactions and few side effects (the most
common is headache: occurs <10%)
Another alternative would be Tigan (trimethabenzamide) which is an older
anti-nausea medication.
Good luck with the surgery.