Charlie--

I'm not up on all the nuances of rivalries, affiliations, and turf wars,
except what I read on the list, but that announcement also struck me as
spoiling for trouble.  A true Patient's Congress should be as unconnected
as possible to any current "player."  A steering committee meeting in
Miami?  Sure, it will be independent, right!  (not that a sunny clime
doesn't sound inviting in January; whenever I had to interview a doctor for
an article over the holidays, he was always in Aruba for a convention.)

Any Congress steering committee should meet on neutral ground, funded by
contributions from as wide a group as possible: PD
foundations/organizations, drug companies, grass roots PWP (I'd gladly pop
for a truly independent meeting) so that no one entity predominates or
feels they can run the show.  I wish you were one of the twelve, with your
common sense, the-emperor-has-no-clothes approach.

Kathy Kunz