Paul,

The following is an extract from a short booklet I wrote on PD and my
personal experience of it. I apologies in advance that it fails to meet
your request for a "brief" response.

"The facts about slow movement (Bradykinesia)
(and difficulty starting movement.)

The slowing down associated with PD results in a wide range of symptoms,
 including:

an inability to start a movement (freezing)
slow execution of a movement'
a shuffling walk
the slowing down of a movement until it stops (another type of freezing),
reduced blinking,
reduced arm swinging,
difficulties with swallowing and eating,
difficulties with speech,
bowel and bladder problems,
a 'mask-like' facial expression.

Some personal comments on slow movement (bradykinesia)

Bradykinesia, or slow movement is amoung the most invasive of all the PD
symptoms.  It affects the PWP on many levels, both physically and socially.

 A glance at the list of symptoms reads like a 'who's who' of the body and
the
difficulties associated with each symptom are, in the main, self evident.

Body Language:

What is not obvious is that the lack of facial expression, body movement,
blinking, and spontaneity add up to a lack of body language.  People in
conversation with a PWP often form the opinion that the PWP is not
interested in what they are saying.  They are not getting those little
encouraging nods,  no smiles are forthcoming and the PWP could even
be looking slightly away from them, making no apparent effort to make eye
contact.  It is hardly surprising that social contacts start to dry up.
Even
people who are aware of the problem have difficulty with it.  Short of
hanging a sign around our necks saying "I am listening-really",  all we
PWP's can do is make sure that people are aware of our difficulties and
then periodically verbally reassure them that we are listening.

Tiredness:

Another source of friction associated with slow movement is the
misconception that PWP move slowly because they are tired. This is not the
case. Dr Parkinson called this disease the Shaking Palsy because the
bradykinesia is a form of paralysis.  Unfortunately no amount of
encouragement or sleep will speed a PWP up.  However the encouragement is
very welcome if directed at maintaining a positive mental attitude."

I hope this is some help Paul.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/