From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Ken Nye
Sent:   Monday, November 24, 1997 12:15 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Aricept/Runny Nose

To Edythe re husband's runny nose at meals:

Edythe, your message struck a chord with me.  I am not taking Aricept, but
I do have PD.  My symptoms began to appear about two years ago, and until I
read your query it never occurred to me that my runny nose at meals that
also began about two years ago may have something to do with Parkinson's.
I'm still not sure that it has, but your husband's experience has started
me thinking.  Shortly into the meal it's as if a faucet was turned on.  I
now have a tissue box next to the table so I can mop up and get on with my
meal.  The faucet turns itself off as soon as it has let a torrent loose.
The thought occurs to me that, in light of the fact that one of my symptoms
is a tightening of the facial muscles making smiling a stiffer reflex, is
it possible that the act of eating combines with the deteriorated muscle
tone of the facial muscles to produce a runny nose?  I have no idea.  I
don't know anything about facial muscles.  All I know is that about the
time my first PD symptoms showed up, my nose started running at the
beginning of the evening meal.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What a
strange idea.

I guess what I'm suggesting, Edythe, is that the runny nose may be a result
of the disease itself and not the medication.  But I have absolutely
nothing upon which to base that suggestion other than my own experience and
my own conjecture.

I'll be curious to hear if anyone has any ideas about this.

Ken Nye

>My husband, 67/3, has been taking 10 mg Aricept nightly since late in May.
>By July, and perhaps even before, he has developed a runny nose (clear
>water).  It is at its worst during meals.  Last week our GP voiced
>suspicions of Aricept being the culprit.  Has anyone on Aricept experienced
>a similar side effect?
>Also, has Aricept been of any cognitive enhancing value?  Unfortunately, it
>has not proved to be of value in my husband's case.  Thanks for your input.
>
>Edythe Lord, CG for Chuck 67/3
>

>Edythe E. Lord
>CARMEL CLAY SCHOOLS
>Information Services

Ken Nye
Assistant Professosr of Educational Leadership
University of Southern Maine
Gorham, Maine  04032
207-780-5090