PETTY  PETTY PETTY

In the last several days both publicly and privately the debate over the  NPF
initiated Congress in Miami has been debated  with a common  theme that this
meeting will fragment the Parkinson Movement. It will not happen if we do not
let it happen.

I am tired of the petty bickering between the NPF, the ADPA and PAN.  I do
not care who takes credit for passage of the Udall Bill, I do not care who
funded the last research discovery all I care about are people with Parkinson
Disease and what can I do to help our community.

I have supported whole heartily with time and funds in about equal proportion
the NY Parkinson Disease Foundation and the Parkinson Action Net Work because
from my  point of view their vision and actions of help  matched my goals and
aspirations.

Now the National Parkinson Foundation in Miami has an idea that will benefit
me and I will now support them as long as I can in the proposed project until
a better idea presents itself to me.

Comments have passed that we delegates will be unduly swayed by the influence
of the NPF because they convened and are using their resources to fund the
gathering. I think this is a major misconception of the purpose of the
meeting.  We are called together for the delegates to brainstorm where WE
want to go with our efforts in the upcoming year. It is for us to decide
where we want to put our energies effectively and if the NPF, ADPA or PAN
have a good idea..if its good for the PD Community the delegates will embrace
it and move to tackle the project.

My commitment for 1998 as I go to the conference is two-fold:

                          FUND THE RESEARCH       FIND A CURE

1. To be sure the funds authorized by the Udall Bill are appropriated and
applied to the stated objectives of the bill. I expect the PAN is best suited
to that task as our advocacy arm and I will again support them in that
activity.

2. I have done the best I can to get public funding for research now I want
to learn how to raise funds in the private sector. The real goal is FUND THE
RESEARCH