Dennis Greene wrote:

> 1.      We know that many PWP have the experience
>         but we do not know how wide spread the experience
>         is in the general population.  It may well be that the
>         incidence is similar across the board.
>
> 2.      My own speculation as to what is happening is that
>         slightly drier/thicker than normal mucas is released
>         by the jaw action associated with chewing and the
>         throat action associated with swallowing.  In other words
>         the running nose is caused by a purely mechanical
>         process.  Of course the dryness may well be caused by
>         reactions to medications etc.

Dennis, it seems that steam with chicken soup or hot pepper content is
conducive to watering of the nose, eyes, sinuses surfaces in my experience.
Nancy has similar sensations.

the statements about thicker saliva seem inaccurate per my experience. pflegm
or mucus seem to form - appear - at the locus where my tonsils and adenoids
would be if not removed when I was perhaps 5 years old. Saliva primarily comes
from beneath the tongue back portion.

The "watering effect" may even be more obvious if there is no mucus in the
nostrils par se. The cleaning out of these large (nostrils, turbinators) and
small passages by breathing chicken soup steam may be very beneficial to
washing away foreign biota. Salty water is perhaps a poor substitute for tears
and the "water" oozing from  these membranes in it's antibiotic value.

despite it's grossness, I must include the removal of pflegm (mucus, sputum)
from the throat by coughing it loose and expectorating seems the best thing to
do with that thicker and thicker stuff. my emotional connection with this is
my grandfather's tremendous difficulty with this aspect of his final few
years. My conclusion was that he died from choking due to the "damned stuff" -
although I was away at college - 20 years old - when he died at 91. It had
been a couple of years since I had spent the night in his room to help him to
the bathroom or coughing up the miserable stuff.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, 1984 PD dz   paradise is where you make it, not a place to go
e-mail: [log in to unmask]