Jim,

I'd like to be involved in whatever way I can in the Patient Congress.
I've already worked with the people on your committee and have great
respect and affection for all of you.  Is there a separate plan to lobby
together during '98 to continue Udall appropriations, or will that be part
of the Congress's efforts?

I am currently serving a term as a board member of the St. Louis APDA
chapter.  I became involved through the Parkinson's Center and its
director, and both happen to be affiliated with the APDA.  This is not a
lifetime commitment on their part; as a matter of fact, there's  quite a
bit of disillusionment with the national organization and the way it
operates. The connection continues mainly because of the helpful materials
we receive from the national organization, but another group affiliation
would be considered, I think.

I don't know if others were put off, as I was, by the NPF announcement of
the Udall bill's passage.  They made it sound as though they had pulled it
off single-handedly, and didn't even mention Joan and PAN and the fact
that without them it would never have happened.  I agree with you that it
would be fruitless to waste time and effort to promote a unity which may
never occur, even if it is the most sensible way to go.  Now that the bill
is passed, perhaps PAN should expand its horizons and emerge as the
premier organization!

Pat