-- [ From: Bob Martone * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Nancy 52/22  continues to show progress on all fronts with the exception
of the daily periodic freezing that occurs between sinemet doses. The
freezing is also accompanied by some minor tremor in both arms. The
tremor is a new phenomenon. The back surgery that fused some vertebrae
between L1-5 and placed two titanium rods there to provide some much
needed support to that area seems to be doing what was hoped. She is now
enjoying far less pain and the pain medication that she does take
alleviates most of the residual pain in her hips and lower back. Her
posture has improved overall but this just started in the last couple of
weeks. Whether she will stand completely erect again remains to be seen
but the recent progress suggests there is reason for continued optimism.
She has fallen a few times with black and blue marks to show for it and
some soreness but nothing harmful to the surgical area and no damping of
her enthusiasm to try to do more each day. Yesterday's fall cost us a
table lamp and some more bruises but it was because she was down on her
hands and knees doing some cleaning that she wanted to do. When she got
up she lost her balance and crashed into the lamp. It shook me up much
more than her.

Next week we will visit  the doctors office and have X-rays taken of her
lower back to confirm that all is as it should be. At this point things
look very good.

With regard to Mirapex. She has been taking it now for just over three
months. Daily doses of 1 mg pills are taken at 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM (3
mg total).  From my perspective she is more alert, speaks more clearly
in longer sentences, and shows more desire to do things. We recently
bought some lake front property and she wanted to visit the property and
fish. Since I also like to fish this was a good deal all around.  We did
catch some fish too.

There is one new side effect that we attribute directly to the Mirapex
and that is dizziness. It occurs so frequently that Nancy refers to it
as her new state of being. We haven't changed any meds for about two
months in order to give everything a chance to settle in before we do
any more tweaking. Suggestions on what to do about the dizziness would
be appreciated.

Jim Cordy asked about the discontinuance of Permax. Nancy discontinued
her Permax over about a two week period. There were no terrible
consequences but it was a bumpy road as she titrated up the Mirapex
ladder from .125 doses to 1.0 doses.  To try to be more specific there
were deeper off "frozen" periods and  more problems with balance and
some nausea.  All of this improved with time.

Current med levels follow:

3 Mirapex 1mg at 6 AM, noon and 6 PM
11 sinemet 10/100, 1 every 1 1/2 to 2 hours
2 effexor  1 in AM one in PM
2 amantadine 1 in AM and 1 in PM
1 clozaril at bed time
Ativan  for anxiety,  propoxy, aspirin or tylenol for pain only as
needed. Ativan is pretty in frequent and pain relief is needed maybe
once or twice a day.

Happy Thanksgiving,
from the Martone's