Dear Friends:

It'a 2:00 am CST in Houston and guess who's not sleeping?

You mean that guy over there in the corner who's joining the Hole-In-The-Head
Gang today?

None other.

Hermann Hospital has kindly invited me to a Pallidotomy Party starting at
5:30 this morning. They'll serve refreshments. I'll bring a brain.

I spend five hours there yesterday for pre-op tests and meetings. Everything
could have been done in thirty minutes. Rest of the time was spent waiting
for the $%^^#@%$%^ surgeon to appear (four hours late) so I could sign his
consent form.

My neurologist, the surgeon, my official hand-holder for the day, and the
drop-dead blonde anesthesiologist all led me though the procedures for today.
Briefly, The Facts: right-side pallidotomy . . . process starts at 6:30 am .
. . enter OR about 9:30 after frame attachment and MRI  . . . exit OR five to
six hours later (Hermann does brain mapping, that's why it takes longer.) . .
. spend one night in hospital  . . . MRI on Saturday morning . . . go home
Saturday afternoon if everything is OK..

Based on all that I heard yesterday, then only things I anticipate being
unpleasant are the insertion of a .45-caliber needle/suction hose in my arm
(OWWWWWW!!!!!) and the ramming of a foley catheter into my bladder (You're
going to stick that where???!!!!!!!) Otherwise, I'm not dreading the
operation. Actually, it may help me catch up on my sleep. Last four nights,
PD symptons have allowed me only three hours of ZZZ's a night. Foxy
anesthesiologist told me she'll keep me dopey in a light sleep during the
operation, and bring me up anytime the docs want ot talk to me. She also said
that anytime I want to take a break while the docs are busy watching Sally
Jesse or Jeopardy, just tell her and she'll take me down a few notches and
let me sleep.

To all you wonderful Parkies who sent me personal messages (especially Kathy
in Norman OK) please forgive me for not responding yet. Last three weeks have
been Hell. PD getting worse . . . meds not working properly . . . hero
readusting dosage every two or three days trying to find that skinny
tightrope between UNDER and OVER  medicated . . . hero spending a large
amount of time lying on the couch in the OFF state. This pallidotomy couldn't
have been scheduled at a better time.

My alarm just buzzed, telling me it's time to pretend I'm waking up and
rolling out of bed. Off I go to take a shower, wash what's left of my hair
(semi-long style of 20 years abandoned for George Clooney/Brain Surgery
haircut), dress and head for Hermann.

At this moment, there's only one thing that any of my friends could do for
me:
"I WANT A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!!!!"

Will try to explain to Shirley how to enter AOL and send an email. Maybe she
can zip out a quick report on the results this evening. Otherwise, you'll
hear from me this weekend after I come home.

Thanks again for all your support and prayers.

Stan Houston (54/7)