LISTFRIENDS AND LEADERSHIP COMMITTEE.

Over the past year or two on the list,  I have expressed my concern
about fragmentation of effort between the numerous PD organizations.
It had been my hope that following the passage of Udall the
organizations which had cooperated during the lobbying effort would
finally start working with each other and end the petty, juvenile
bickering which has impeded our effectiveness for years.  Melinda
Brown's announcement of the NPF Parkinson's Congress appears to me to be
a textbook study on how to perpetuate hard feelings and rancor.  I may
be wrong and hope I am overreacting but there is a lot at stake and I
wanted to bring the issue to the list for discussion.

When Jim Cordy told me about his idea for starting another group of
primarily PWP and their caregivers several months ago my reaction was
that we needed another group like "a hole in the head"  (poor choice if
similes). Jim in his characteristic way of building from a good idea
scrapped the idea of a new group and came up with the Idea of a Patients
Congress which would be "nondenominational".  We would meet not as PAN
members,  APDA members, or NPF members.  we would meet as PWP and our
caregivers setting an agenda for political action, educating ourselves
about our illness, relating to the professionals in movement disorders
treatment and generally setting priorities from the consumer standpoint.
People could then take the ideas back to their local or "sectarian"
organizations and be energized to carry them out. This would not take
authority or autonomy away from the existing organizations but would
provide a common meeting ground and common goals which just might make
the sectarian divisions less important.

I also liked Jim's selection of the 12 person steering committee,  many
of whom I know from this list and it appeared from Jim's description of
them that they had a variety of allegiances.

Then the announcement came out about the NPF Patients Congress & the
steering committee meeting in MIami. This apparently was the price NPF
Charged for their funding of the Congress.  I am concerned that the
acceptance of this offer severely undermines the original intent of the
Congress- unless one makes the assumption that NPF is the only viable
organization and ignoring the others will have minimal effect.

If the 12 person leadership committee do not feel that they are being
co-opted and reaction here is not negative then Jim is right and we
ought to move on and I'll see you all in Washington after the steering
committee meets in Miami in January. But if there is significant
divisiveness triggered by this plan then I would like to propose that
the January meeting be held on neutral ground and other sources of
funding  be explored- such as contributions from the existing
organizations or
possibly solicit money from the drug companies who make our meds.

I do not question Jim's motives but I do question the effectiveness of
his plan given all the hard feelings between the various organizations.

I would hope this will stimulate significant discussion.  I think it
needs to be thought out carefully and discussed prior to any meetings.

Charlie

608-833-9336
FAX 608-833-9114
--