Dear Friends:

FOR REASONS UNKNOWN TO US COMPUTER MORTALS,  THE FOLLOWING WAS EVIDENTLY NOT
POSTED IN THE LIST DIGEST ON FRIDAY, NOV. 21.
SO I DECIDED TO RESEND IT.
_________________-_______________________________

It'a 2:00 am CST (Friday, Nov. 21) in Houston and guess who's not sleeping?

You mean that guy over there in the corner who's losin' his religion and
joining the Hole-In-The-Head Gang today?

None other.

Hermann Hospital has kindly invited me to a Pallidotomy Party starting at
5:30 this morning. They'll serve Demerol-on-the-rocks. I'll bring a brain.

I spent five hours there yesterday for pre-op tests and meetings. Everything
could have been done in thirty minutes. Rest of the time was spent waiting
for the $%^^#@%$%^ surgeon to appear (four hours late) so I could sign his
consent form.

My neurologist, the surgeon, my official hand-holder for the day, and the
drop-dead blonde anesthesiologist all led me though the procedures for today.
Briefly, the facts: right-side pallidotomy . . . process starts at 6:30 am .
. . enter OR about 9:30 after frame attachment and MRI  . . . exit OR five to
six hours later (Hermann does brain mapping, that's why it takes longer.) . .
. spend one night in hospital  . . . MRI on Saturday morning . . . go home
Saturday afternoon if everything is OK..

Based on all that I heard yesterday, the only things I anticipate being
unpleasant are the insertion of a .45-caliber needle/suction hose in my arm
(OWWWWWW!!!!!) and the ramming of a foley catheter into my bladder (You're
going to stick that  WHERE???!!!!!!!) Otherwise, I'm not dreading the
operation. Actually, it may help me catch up on my sleep. Last four nights,
PD symptons have allowed me only three hours of ZZZ's a night. Foxy
anesthesiologist told me she'll keep me dopey in a light sleep during the
operation, then bring me up anytime the docs want to talk to me. She also
said that anytime I want to take a break and sleep while the docs are busy
watching Sally Jesse or Jeopardy, just tell her and she'll take me down a few
notches.

My alarm just buzzed, telling me it's time to pretend I'm waking up and
rolling out of bed. Off I go to take a shower, wash what's left of my hair
(semi-long style of 20 years abandoned for George Clooney/Brain Surgery
haircut), dress and head for Hermann.

At this moment, there's only one thing any of my friends could do for me:
"BRING ME  A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks again for all your messages, support and prayers. Next time you see me
I'll be a new man. Well, maybe improved. I'll settle for that.

Stan Houston (54/7)

Well, gang, it's Saturday night and I'm  home from the hospital sporting my
new George Clooney haircut (with a square bangage in the middle of my head),
several expertly placed lesions on my right-brain globus pallidus, and the
ability to walk again when my meds are  "OFF."  Apparently I've also lost all
those painful dystonias on  my left side. Went six hours Friday night without
any meds and no problems!
My neuro was excited, I was excited, Shirley was excited,  and my blonde
NEURO RECOVERY UNIT nurse Sunshine was excited.

By all measures so far, my eight hours (YES!) in the operating room was well
worth it.  Even if they kept waking me up every time I fell asleep.

More later.  I need to get some ZZZZZZZZ's in my own bed.

Stan Houston (54/7)