-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

My concerns on learning that one organization has declared itself to be
the leader, and therefore spokesperson of the grassroots movement is
that, 1.  this action negates the respect earned, and the value of the
other organizations in the eyes of those who matter, eg., Congress, and
2.  the Parkinson community cannot afford to do without the political
savvy and influence that have been demonstrated by Joan Samuelson,
Michael Claeys, and those in the other Parkinson organizations.  The
November 11 issue of  PAN's newsletter, while encouraging mail and calls
to elected officials, states, "The Udall Act is law, but it needs
continued action to translate words into funding and programs that will
build the Parkinson's research effort as Congress intends....This
campaign will end only when medical science reports that Parkinson's has
been defeated.  The Udall Act promises a dramatic increase in
Parkinson's research.  We need continued action by Congress and the
Clinton Administration to make it reality."  I think that before the
funds are appropriated we will again hear from the conservatives in
Congress who blocked funding for family planning clinics overseas, and
payment of US dues to the the UN.  We know of the horrendous
consequences that even 6 months can take on PWP - we can't afford to not
do everything right the first time in securing the $100,000,000
appropriation.  It would be encouraging to know that those who were most
effective in preventing the exclusion of fetal tissue research from the
Udall bill, and rallying the troops, are active participants.  Call it
Unity or Common Purpose, the Parkinson Coalition or whatever, I hope
that those involved in the NPF's Congress, all of whom I have reason to
respect and admire, will urge that the umbrella be enlarged in a
democratic manner to include those who might make a difference now, and
in the future work on reconciling underlying differences.

Dolores Gross