From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Stan R. Houston
Sent:   Sunday, November 30, 1997 10:08 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        A request for help

Dear Friends:

It's been ten days since my nine hours in the OR for a pallidotomy, and
except for comtinuing problems with walking in the  "off" state, life at home
is returning to a familiar routine.

I have a question for other veterans of pallidotomy surgery.  After a week or
so, did anyone have a problem with depression?  Shirley believes it may be
similar to Post Traumatic Strress Syndrome, like surviving a plane crash or
some other disaster.  I wonder if it's similar to the post-operative
experiences of many poeple who have open-heart surgery -- since both the
heart and the brain are connected with a person's  mortality

I'd like to hear from other PWP's who've had  pallidotomies  and who wouldn't
mind sharing  post-operative psychological experiences with me.

Thanks in advance.

Stan Houston (54/7)