At 05:44 PM 11/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm looking for insight while admittedly not being able to supply much by
>way of information.  My mother was very recently diagnosis with Parkinsons.
> I can only get reports of her condition from my sisters who live in the
>same city.  She'll never tell me how bad her condition is, will only go
>into a doctors office when she's near death, and then only for an
>appointment made weeks in advance.  I'd like to know if her level of
>disability requires more, and immediate, aggressive treatment.
>
>Reportedly, she was bed ridden for at least a week before going to see a
>general practitioner.  She was prescribed something, though I have no
>information on the nature of the drug.  This Thanksgiving she was seen to
>be able to walk slowly, not being able to raise her knees more than a few
>inches, was very fatigued, and shaking all over.  She was only able to stay
>there a short time before returning to bed.  Her hair has been cut
>extremely short since she can not raise her hands to her head.  She's put
>on a great deal of weight.  With this admittedly scant amount of
>information, can anyone give me an idea what the relative severity of her
>condition is?  Should she be better with proper treatment.  She's close to
>the Cleveland Clinic.  Should she be a patient there already?
>
>Are there any paricular aids that Parkinson's patients need?  Kitchen aids?
> Bathroom aids?  Computer or reading aids?
>

>Mike Holloway
>       Has your mother had a work-up with a Movement Disorder speicalist?
Just an ordinary neurologist may not do. All your questions have yes-kitchen
aids, bath, etc..Would she be eligible for Home Health care while she is
being evaluated. There is help out there but sometimes hard to locate.
Perhaps call the HomeHealth agancies yourself, the hospital Social Workers.
You'll get more good advice from this group. probabvly from her area. We are
in Northern Calif.
        Good Luck, Thea Seese