Dear Jim,

        When you telephoned me several days ago and we agonized together over
the seeming disunity within POPC  (as in popsical  --   my acronym for
the
Professionally Organized Parkinson's Community!),   you said you would
email me an advance copy of your response to the critics of your plan to
establish a coalition of PWP.  Had you done so I would have advised you
to  kill it.

        Before reading it I was half a mind to go along with the notion that
the important thing  was finding a PD cure and that it didn't much
matter who provided the facilties and/or money so long as it enabled me
and other ordinary Parkies   with no affilation with any POPC member to
advance that cause. Generally speaking  that is still my view, but your
new emailer  makes it clear that it  does  matter in this instance.

        Your letter is contradictory  in this regard.  You state  without
reservation that you couldn't care less who came out on top in the
competition between PAN, APDA and NPF, yet at the same time you sing the
praises  only  of  Messrs Hoffheimer  and  Turrene, remark that NPF is
uniquely  capable of moving  us toward a cure, admit that you serve on
NPF's Board,  give as the address
of  your  new  coalition that  of  NPF's headquarters and furnish
Hoffheimer and   Turrene's email addresses for those interested  in
your initiative to contact,  and fail to distance yourself from the
admirer who emails us that he expects NPF to emerge the contested  POPC
leader.

        How in heaven's name would you  expect Parkies who think kindly on APDA
and PAN -- let alone are members of those organizations -- to pitch in
wholeheartedly  with you to create an agenda for the entire Parkinson's
community  under those circumstances?

        My concern, Jim, is that by this approach you accomplish two things:
you lose a good deal of valuable input;  and you fracture POPC,  thereby
destroying
the unity  which -- no matter how tenuous -- helped to win the Udall
battle  and
could help to speed the final victory if it can be maintained,  as I'm
sure it can.

        Toward that end I urge you even at this late date to put your plans on
hold
while you do two things:  first,  find yourself a neutral headquarters;
second, go  after as broad a POPC  base of support as you can get.
Obviously you should
have done this at the start rather than springing  the exsistence of
your coalition  as  a  surprise on everybody but NPF.

        You  know how  much of a fan of yours I  have been, if only from my
recent
letter of praise to you on this  Internet service. I am also a fan of
NPF, Larry and
Bill, and especially of Robin Elliott. It was Larry who first sniffed
Udall victory  at the endof October, Bill who cheerfully  (on your
initiative, as I recall) reimbursed my $400 car-rental expense  out of
NPF's coffersto attend the PAN forum in Washington last July (how's that
for unity and cooperation!), and
the delightful Robin who put his 200-plus pounds  whipersonally  into
the NewYork  marathon,  an event that benefitted all POPC members! My
fear is that your effort  may flounder  and wind up dead in the water,
meanwhile creating  animosity  and resentment and causing  actual harm
toNPF as well as to you , Dale Severance, my mentor and First Parkie
Charlie Richards,  and the  other  fine people you have enlisted to
back  your otherwise sensible initiative.
If my assessment is even partially correct, the impairment to our common
goal of
licking  PD could be substanial, which is why I am writing this letter.
                                                                Yours in humble
sincerity,
Elliott