Many have asked, "What do we do now?"   The first thing is to thank all
those who supported us, publicly if possible.  Below is a letter to the
editor I'm sending to  our local paper.  I hope this prompts others to do
the same.

The System Works
Before Congress adjourned this year they passed legislation providing $100
million per year for Parkinson's disease research and education.  It was
subsequently signed into law by the President.   It is a victory not only
for people affected by Parkinson’s but for our system.  This bill passed
because one by one thousands of people  told  their elected  representatives
of the horrors of this disease, the promise of a near term scientific
breakthrough, and the huge savings that would  result.  There were no
junkets, PACs or high priced lobbyists. Instead there were letters,
postcards, phone calls and visits by ordinary people.
Our Senators and Representatives, one by one voiced there support. I’m proud
to say that Pennsylvania was the first state to have both Senators sponsor
this bill.  Senator Specters leadership was crucial as Chairman of the
Senate Appropriations Subcommittee with jurisdiction. Senator Santorum’s
support was vital with conservative Republicans.  But this was a bipartisan
effort, which had the early support of all of Western Pennsylvania’s
predominately Democratic Congressmen.  A special thanks to Congressman Bill
Coyne who made his office in Washington our home away from home. Congressmen
Klink, Mascara  and Doyle were always accessible.  Congressman English was
one of the first Republican supporters in the House.  Congressman Murtha’s
support with his seniority on the Appropriations Committee was essential.
I was privileged to be invited to the White House to witness the signing of
this legislation.  As I watched I was proud to be an American where the
system does work and proud to be from Western Pennsylvania where a sense of
neighbor helping neighbor still thrives. I was filled with the conviction
that given these funds the Parkinson’s researchers at laboratories, like the
one at the University of Pittsburgh, will soon find a cure for Parkinson’s
disease.  Everyone will share in that victory as those resources will then
be directed to other areas of medical science.

Jim Cordy
Pittsburgh