>Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:53:39 -0600
>From:  "Charles T. Meyer" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: unity
>To:    Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
>
>HI RON,
>
>At one time I was in favor of working toward merger of the
>organizations.  From what I have learned in the process of discussing
>this is that the bad feelings are too strong for that to be a viable
>goal at this time. We also don't need a new organization with the
>likelihood that it too will get polarized.  That is why I support the
>Patient Congress to be a joint effort of all the organizations.  They
>may be a lot of kicking and screaming but the Congress has the real
>possibility of unifying in purpose if not in structure.  It would be my
>hope that eventually unity would come because it is the logical thing
>do and most people want it-  rather than create more hard feelings by
>coercion.
>
>Charlie

It just amazes me how ineffective our organizations are as opposed to
others.  The MDA comes to mind as an organization which is hugely
effective in generating publicity and raising funds.  I understand that
unity will be difficult to achieve.  I don't really understand those who
think it is a bad idea.  Does anybody understand how the various
organizations differ in goals/approaches?

Hope all is well with you.