Does anyone know if PAN or APDA have expressed any interest in
tri-sponsoring the PWPC?  I have heard nothing and read nothing from either
that would indicate an interest.

But let's say they both do want to, and would toss in some money for a
neutral site (neutral for whom?), when do you think it would occur?  This
century?

But let's say all the logistics could be worked out to the mutual
satisfaction of Joan, Larry and Paul Smedberg (or whomever these
organizations might send - oh, yes, how about the other organizations?),
and a moderator acceptable to all is in the chair, how long would the
moderator survive, and what would the delegates do for the remaining three
or four days after the moderator walks/is carried out?

But let's say the moderator survives, the discussion begins, and the
delegates attempt to stick to an agenda  prepared in advance and approved
by all three organizations.  (Get that - prepared and approved by all
three?)  Paul speaks first (A in APDA), Larry second,  and Joan speaks
last.  Each gives his/her interpretation of where the PWPC should be going.
The delegates listen intently.  And listen.  And listen ...

But let's say the delegates actually have a chance to talk among
themselves, with all three organization reps still there - how long will
the delegate discussion survive without inter-organizational bickering?
What happens when a course is suggested by a delegate that meets with the
approval of, say, one organization but not the other two?  Do you think the
two organizations' reps will sit there quietly in rapt interest, just
taking notes?   How long before the agenda - agendaS -  become the whipping
boy of the three organizations, and becomes so muddled, so
inter-organizationally hung-up, that the whole show falls apart, all three
sonsors walk away, and the dream of a PWPC disappears in the Fargo-Morehead
mist (Fargo-Morehead was the one site all could agree on).

Perry, all fellow delegates, all readers, all concerned People With
Parkinson's, all of you good people with vested interest in this patient
participation experiment working, please give this some more thought.
Consider:  First, there isn't a delegate among  us who is in bed with NPF
or any other organization.  Second, no one from NPF, no one, is going to
tell us what to discuss, what arguments to make, what conclusions to reach.
Third, a meeting of delegates with the least political influence possible
serves all our interest - it allows US to debate and discuss, and conclude
and recommend.  Fourth, tri-sponsorship will create an
organizational/functional quagmire heretofore undiscussed, and really too
much to talk aabout here.  Fifth, if what we can work out, without the
rancor and rantings that a tri-sponsorship would create, is good, if it is
a reasonable  start toward forming a viable PWPC, then no other letters
will be attached - PWPC, that is People With Parkinson's Congress - allying
it with any organization.

The  political chicanery, individual hostilities and petty
inter-organizational feuding that went on during the final days of the
Udall bill approval left a few people in important places wondering about
our leadership.  NPF is offering us an opportunity to come together to form
a new vehicle to carry us and our story into the next century.  No one else
has made a similar offer, and it is to NPF's credit that they have.

But that doesn't mean NPF is writing the report.  After the welcoming
remarks, I expect little input from NPF.  That is as it should be.  The
vehicle we assemble will bear no nameplate of current organizations, nor
will it carry their passengers or cargo.  It cannot, if it is to be
credible.  It will be, if it is to be, a PWP creation, for and by PWPs.

So let us not allow the arguments of others to divide us.  Let us get on
with it, do our best, and be entirely open with those whose lives, like
ours, may depend on  how we perform.  It is an opportunity we should not
lose.

                        Bob Dolezal