Another medline abstract on lipoic acid.  This one discusses neuroprotection
specifically.

        Ron Reiner (50/2)
Title
     Neuroprotection by the metabolic antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid.
Author
     Packer L; Tritschler HJ; Wessel K
Address
     Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California,
Berkeley 94720-3200, USA.
Source
     Free Radic Biol Med, 22(1-2):359-78 1997
Abstract

    Reactive oxygen species are thought to be involved in a number of
    types of acute and chronic pathologic conditions in the brain and
    neural tissue. The metabolic antioxidant alpha-lipoate (thioctic acid,
    1, 2-dithiolane-3-pentanoic acid; 1, 2-dithiolane-3 valeric acid; and
    6, 8-dithiooctanoic acid) is a low molecular weight substance that is
    absorbed from the diet and crosses the blood-brain barrier.
    alpha-Lipoate is taken up and reduced in cells and tissues to
    dihydrolipoate, which is also exported to the extracellular medium;
    hence, protection is afforded to both intracellular and extracellular
    environments. Both alpha-lipoate and especially dihydrolipoate have
    been shown to be potent antioxidants, to regenerate through redox
    cycling other antioxidants like vitamin C and vitamin E, and to raise
    intracellular glutathione levels. Thus, it would seem an ideal
    substance in the treatment of oxidative brain and neural disorders
    involving free radical processes. Examination of current research
    reveals protective effects of these compounds in cerebral
    ischemia-reperfusion, excitotoxic amino acid brain injury,
    mitochondrial dysfunction, diabetes and diabetic neuropathy, inborn
    errors of metabolism, and other causes of acute or chronic damage to
    brain or neural tissue. Very few neuropharmacological intervention
    strategies are currently available for the treatment of stroke and
    numerous other brain disorders involving free radical injury. We
    propose that the various metabolic antioxidant properties of
    alpha-lipoate relate to its possible therapeutic roles in a variety of
    brain and neuronal tissue pathologies: thiols are central to
    antioxidant defense in brain and other tissues. The most important
    thiol antioxidant, glutathione, cannot be directly administered,
    whereas alpha-lipoic acid can. In vitro, animal, and preliminary human
    studies indicate that alpha-lipoate may be effective in numerous
    neurodegenerative disorders.

Language
     Eng
Unique Identifier
     97117078

MESH Headings
     Animal; Antioxidants (*PD/TU); Brain (BS/*DE); Human; Nerve
Degeneration (DE); Nervous System (*DE);
     Neuroprotective Agents (*PD/TU); Oxidative Stress (DE); Reperfusion
Injury (PC); Thioctic Acid (*PD/TU)

Publication Type
     JOURNAL ARTICLE; REVIEW; REVIEW, ACADEMIC
ISSN
     0891-5849
Country of Publication
     UNITED STATES