On Sun 30 Nov, David Havard wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> Thank you for your pertinent comments.
>
> "> Perhaps the most useful statistic would be: What percentage of users
> of a
> > particular drug suffer side effects?  It sounds simple, but I suspect that a
> > meaningful representative result is beyond the resources of this list. It
> > would be no use to usto have an inaccurate result, nor would it be fair to
>
> I agree entirely. Simplicity was what I was after. Over the past few
> months I have gained an impression from peoples comments, but is this
> valid? Maybe negative comments are more likely to be written about.
>
> People seem to ask for an awful lot of advice here - so whats happened
> to the medical and voluntary support systems? My vested interest was to
> know if my impression was correct.
>
> I take it (no offence) that you are amibvalent to the survey and put you
> in the negative file - so far 6 for and 2 negatives - I put a lot of
> weight on Delda White's negative comment - if too many people do not
> participate its not worth it.
>
> Would you help me with a qc (second opinion) of what I put out if this
> thing gets off the ground.
>
> Thanks

Hello David - My reservations about the proposed survey are not directed
at the desirability of aquiring information about drug effects; it is the
problem of the small number of responses that typically result from such
a survey. It seems reasonable to expect a response in the realm of 100 to
200 from the 1500 members of the list, and armed with that sort of data
we might begin to get some  useful information. I would suggest a few
guidelines as follows:

1. Make the question(s) simple, unambiguous, and relevant

2 Phrase the question(s) in such a way that the answer(s) can be short
and direct.

3 Get the support of some of the more regular contributors to the list:
If they can stir their 'fan clubs' into action who knows - we might begin
to get somewhere.  I suspect that if we could get one large-scale response,
and show the potential of 'people-power' it may begin to snowball into a
really useful service.  - How many neurologists have access to 1500
potential responders ?

Re: the second opinion request, I am prepared to do this (Of course, I may
not agree with your findings, but I assume that you are prepared for this).

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>