-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Elliott,
It was not my intent to condemn the NPF's Parkinson congress but rather
to try to point out that people whose ideas, spirit, and leadership were
so instrumental in getting the Udall bill passed intact will have at
least an equally important role to play in seeing to it that the
appropriations are forthcoming.  Affirmative action by Congress on the
appropriations is obviously not a given.  1998 can be a year of
tremendous success, or disappointment.  It will be a loss for all of us
in the Parkinson's community if PAN in particular, and the other
organizations are not invited to participate and contribute their ideas
and strategies as part of a collective effort at the beginning.  Time is
important and 1998 is fast approaching..  I don't favor a 6 month delay
in doing anything that may have some benefit.  Those involved in the
congress, and the Parkinson community in general,  cannot afford a delay
of any amount of time.  I have only the highest regard for those who
will give of their time and energies, and hope that on November 13 of
'98, when the events of the past 12 months are evaluated, there will be
no regrets on the part of the powers that be or in the Parkinson
community.  To use Bob Martone's soldier analogy, when going into a
decisive battle, it's not wise to leave the most effective, proven
soldiers in the barracks.
Dolores Gross