Stan,

Looking back on my pallidotomy which was done in March of 1996, I was
quite depressed after the surgery, very weepy and teary.  I thought at
the time that it was my disappointment in the amount of improvement I
initially realized from the operation.  Even though nobody had ever
promised me a rose garden, my expectations were way too high.  When I
came home from Toronto, I refused to see people because my speech had
been so negatively affected. However, this all passed within a couple of
weeks.  I began speech therapy which solved that problem and I came to
accept the lower level of improvement that occurred and be grateful for
the small gains I did make.  Just getting rid of the dyskinesia was
really worth the trip.

I think also that I had to get past the feeling that I'd let down my
friends by not living up to the tv image of pallidotomy recipients.  I
didn't require any drugs for depression as this feeling of beakness
was relatively short in duration.  I was dreadfully tired during
recuperation but I think that is to be expected.

Good luck.

Joan Holliday