forwarded message
Date:   Wed, 03 Dec 1997 19:16:54 -0600
From:   "Charles T. Meyer" <[log in to unmask]>

I have hesitated to give my opinion on the matter of "Unification of
NPF, APDA, PAN, and other organizations" I do not suffer from PD, but
have worked as a clinical and social psychologist in a variety of ways,
from Psychoanalytic Oriented Psychotherapy to Police Department
Psychologist. My 68 years of living have given me some experience to
present an additional point of view.

Allow me to state, that for the most part, I do think unification of the
organizations will be impossible, unless certain conditions are in
place. The easiest would be an economic situation that threatens these
organizations, and they then would be forced to merge into a larger unit
for survival. Although the idea of mutuality is a wonderful intellectual
motivation, it rarely motivates. We must not forget that emotion most
often wins over rationality or reason, and there is a lot of
emotionality in the presence of various organizations with a number of
people whose economic and political  needs are being met by such
individual groupings. PD organizations, in the sense of collective units
are really no different than other groups or organizations.

I have sensed, reading many of the well thought out postings, that the
wish for unification take place, but I think that will not happen, but I
also read that some folks want to have an organization of PWP that will
be free of the political aspects and political fighting which
accompanies these multi-organizations. The reason for multi groups in
the first place was some significant needs not being satisfied.

It seems to me that there already is an organization that can meet the
stated interest. The organizations includes a majority of PWP, it is
truly international, it consists of many highly capable people, it has a
communication net work that has demonstrated it vitality, and most
importantly it was established to do the very things that are being
discussed.

This organization is a product of democracy based on ease of entry and
exit. All members, with only rules of conduct, have full entry. We are
not bound by geography or nationality but the impact of disease on our
lives. If we are not bound by excessive needs of individual ego
gratification, the nucleus and power is here and can work to be a
significant force. This organization has demonstrated such force. The
Parkinson Information Exchange, in my opinion, is ideally set up to do
what I think most folks want to do. Perhaps, just perhaps, we can give
new meaning to the concept of the 5th estate.

In summary what I am suggesting is using our strength, which in part, is
our ability to use the tools of the Internet.

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI