Maria:

I think that I was the first kid on the block using Lipoic acid for PD.  I
stumbled on a reference to it on the web site for UC Berkeley about two
years ago.  This was a couple of months after I was dx'ed with PD.

It has become quite "fashionable" just recently since there was a TV News
segment devoted to it (may have been local to DC only).  If you do a Medline
search, you will see that Lipoic Acid is being very actively researched.

I use Twinlabs 50 mg 3x a day.  Solgar also makes it as well as some other
companies.  I buy it at a small chain of stores called Nutrution Center here
in the DC area.  One brand is available at GNCs.  I have also seen it
advertised on mail order Web pages. Its full name is Alpha-Lipoic Acid and
it is sometimes referred to as thioctic acid in the literature.  It is not
difficult to obtain.

I am sure that this is my imagination, but the Twinlab's version seems to
provide some symptomatic relief (might be the Glutathione).  Non of the
other brands do and increasing the dosage doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps.  I heartily recommend it and it is not very expensive.
Even if I didn't have PD, I would be taking it.

                        Ron Reiner (49/2) oops that's (50/2) now!