Sorry for posting private mail to the List, but I've had my post to
Elizabeth returned twice...

>Hi Liz,
>
>Here's the info you wanted. There is a nice "thank you" note from Johnny
Cash on his web site to all his fans.

>http://www.johnnycash.com
>
>CASH, An Autobiography
>
>"This book will be my whole story — what I feel, what I love, what's
happened, as I remember it. It's time to cut through some of the rumors.
>If my life has anything to say, I'll say it here."
>
>Johnny Cash celebrates sixty-five years and his remarkably varied career in
a riveting autobiography — telling it straight — in his own words. CASH: The
Autobiography (a HarperSanFrancisco Hardcover/October 15, 1997/$25.00), is
co-authored with Patrick Carr, contributing editor of Country Music magazine.

>Here, Cash tells the whole story: from his roots on an Arkansas cotton farm
to his first public performance during an Air Force stint in Germany; the
Sun Records era of the '50s, when he worked with Elvis and Carl Perkins, to
the amphetamine-laced '60s; his marriage to June Carter; the "supertar"
years when he had his own TV show; his treatment for addiction and spiritual
>revival and exciting comeback. He relates the traumatic experiences of his
life, such as the death of his older brother and the violent robbery at his
home in Jamaica. Cash also reflects on the family and spirituality that is
central to his life and recalls associations with Jerry Lee lewis, Elvis,
Bob Dylan and many others, including presidents from Nixon to Clinton.

>"I love the road, I love being a gypsy. In some important ways I live for
it, and in other ways it keeps me alive," says Cash. "If I couldn't keep
traveling the world and singing my songs to real live people who want to
hear them, I think I might just sit myslf down in front of a TV and start to
die ... For ultimately, even with its little hardships and major challenges,
that's what the road really means to me. It's adventure, companionship,
creativity, freedom. It's the voice of a very old, beloved friend, perhaps a
boy back in Arkansas or a young man in Memphis, still fresh and clear
despite years, calling: 'Come on, J.R., let's go play!' "

>Full of never-before-published photos, his epic story offers the unique
perspective of a legend reflecting on his own life and a fascinating blend
of passion, honesty, humor, insight, and inspiring faith. With enormous
appeal for fans both old and new, CASH captures the voice of this American icon.

>Order your copy today by e-mailing us with your credit card information or
by calling 1-800-996-3977!

>About the authors: Born in Kingsland, Arkansas, Johnny Cash is the only
musician to be inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, the Country
Music Hall of Fame, and the Rock and Roll Hall, and is one of only a handful
of entertainers to sell more than 50 million records. Cash lives with his
wife and longtime singing parterner June Carter Cash in Hendersonville,
Tennessee. Patrick Carr has covered the rock and country music scenes for
Rolling Stone, the New York Times, Village Voice and Playboy. The editor of
The Illustrated History of Country Music, and coauthor, with Angela Bowie,
of Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie, he lives in
Tampla, FL.