Elf,=20

Here is a medline abstract concerning lipoic acid.  Note the mention of
neurodegeneration.  That's us!  Judging from everything I've seen about
lipoic acid, it seems that a dish of spinach and a lb of lipoic acid per day
is all you need to meet your daily nutitional needs :-)

                Ron Reiner
Title=20
     alpha-Lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant.=20
Author=20
     Packer L; Witt EH; Tritschler HJ=20
Address=20
     Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, University of California,
Berkeley 94720, USA.=20
Source=20
     Free Radic Biol Med, 19(2):227-50 1995 Aug=20
Abstract=20

    alpha-Lipoic acid, which plays an essential role in mitochondrial
    dehydrogenase reactions, has recently gained considerable attention as
    an antioxidant. Lipoate, or its reduced form, dihydrolipoate, reacts
    with reactive oxygen species such as superoxide radicals, hydroxyl
    radicals, hypochlorous acid, peroxyl radicals, and singlet oxygen. It
    also protects membranes by interacting with vitamin C and glutathione,
    which may in turn recycle vitamin E. In addition to its antioxidant
    activities, dihydrolipoate may exert prooxidant actions through
    reduction of iron. alpha-Lipoic acid administration has been shown to
    be beneficial in a number of oxidative stress models such as
    ischemia-reperfusion injury, diabetes (both alpha-lipoic acid and
    dihydrolipoic acid exhibit hydrophobic binding to proteins such as
    albumin, which can prevent glycation reactions), cataract formation,
    HIV activation, neurodegeneration, and radiation injury. Furthermore,
    lipoate can function as a redox regulator of proteins such as
    myoglobin, prolactin, thioredoxin and NF-kappa B transcription factor.
    We review the properties of lipoate in terms of (1) reactions with
    reactive oxygen species; (2) interactions with other antioxidants; (3)
    beneficial effects in oxidative stress models or clinical conditions.=20

Language=20
     Eng=20
Unique Identifier=20
     95377664=20

MESH Headings=20

    Animal; Antioxidants (*); Disease; Human; Hydroxyl Radical; Molecular
    Structure; Reactive Oxygen Species; Support, Non-U.S. Gov't; Support,
    U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.; Thioctic Acid (*/CH/ME/PD/TU)=20

Publication Type=20
     JOURNAL ARTICLE; REVIEW; REVIEW, TUTORIAL=20
ISSN=20
     0891-5849=20
Country of Publication=20
     UNITED STATES=20

                                      http://www.medscape.com
                                Medscape is produced by Medscape, Inc.
              All material on this server Copyright =A9 1994, 1995, 1996,=
 1997
by the publishers involved.

At 12:29 AM 12/4/97 EST, you wrote:
>Ron,
> If it's possiable would you mind sending more detailed info on "lipoic=
 acid"
>...or directing me to a website that has real information about this=
 substance
><can ya tell I don't wanna (unless I have to) scroll thru "try me, buy me"
>ads> ... Thanks ... Elf in TN...Romona
> http://members.aol.com/elf808/index.html   <---newbie webpage but it's in
>color <G>
>Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 7,
>multichallenged), Cory (age5, multichallenged). The boys have no definative=
 Dx