Hi, I'm a new subscriber. My father has PD and was diagnosed in his =
40's.about 10 years ago. He is now in his mid 50's.=20

I wondered if anyone could help:

I bought my parents a computer last year thinking that with the Internet =
it might be a way to connect with the outside world and be an escape =
from the insolation they currently seem to face. Unfortuately tecnofear =
set in and I don't live sufficiently close to hand to be on call to help =
them over that. We also had difficulty wading throught all the stuff on =
the Internet to find any useful websites related to PD. The other =
problem was lack of dexterity made it difficult for my father to use the =
mouse and keyboard - he would often click on something else by mistake =
and being new to the game it would throw him into confusion and =
inability to correct the situation.

So that's the problem - any ideas? I will spend some time with him at =
Xmas to try and overcome the technofear but I wondered if any one had =
come across any aids to help where dexterity is poor. I thought about a =
voice activated system but I have been told that it might not be any =
good if the voice is not constant and Dad's does falter. Also any =
references to good web sites to explore would be appreciated. Is it =
possible to get access to research about new drugs / treatments etc?

I hope that I can persuade my parents to persist with the computer. I =
think they might enjoy subscribing to PARKINSN.  I am certainly looking =
forward to it.

thanks=20
Gail Hardcastle