On Sat 06 Dec, JNewman101 wrote:
> I am puzzled by the lack of discussion on this subject. It's my impression
> that one does not have symptoms of Parkinsons while asleep. Is there a
> neurological switch that gets turned off? Maybe it just turns off parts of the
> system.

It is my understanding that the area of the brain which is affected in PD -
the substantia nigra, is a sort of 'central switchboard' for signals from
thr brain to the muscles involved in bodily movement, and the control
system dealing with the basic, autonomic functions (without which we would
die), is routed through another part of the brain.  In the case of
the very rare Steele-Richardson syndrome (which can result in loss of
autonomic function) the changes observed in the brain are not in the
substantia nigra; they occur in completely different parts of the brain.

I agree with your observations about not shaking when asleep, but that
should not be interpreted as 'normal' sleep: In my case, and most PWPs I
expect, I find that I lie totally inert for maybe 4 to 5 hours of sleep.
This is in sharp contrast with a  'normal' person, who frequently turns
over or makes other movements. It seems that the movement control system
needs the weak and feeble signal coming from the brain to generate the
unstable feedback control sustem which is, in essence, the way most of
our movement control systems work.  When we are asleep, the feeble signal
disappears, and so we don't move - at all!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>