Dale Severance

Thank you for invoking the word 'Terry' in your 11/29/97 post.I'm sure you
were thinking of Terry Fox, a true Canadian hero.

At the age of 18 in 1977, Terry was diagnosed with cancer and had his
right leg amputated six inches above his knee.He was so overcome by the
suffering of cancer patients that he decided to run across Canada to
create awareness and also raise funds for research.

His journey was called the Marathon of Hope. With fierce determination he
ran an average 26 miles every day for 143 days, a total of 3,339 miles.A
return of his cancer forced him to stop on Sept. 1, 1980 and he passed
away in June 1981. He was 22 years old.

However, by February 1981 Terry's hope of raising $1 from every Canadian
had been realized and the fund totalled $24.17 million.Since then over
$180.5 million has been raised worldwide from the annual Marathon of Hope.
In Canada some 650,000 participants walk, run and bike in his memory. In
1996, there were 300 International Run sites in 58 countries. We are told
this is the largest single-day fund-raiser for cancer research in the
world--over $12.6 million was raised in 1996.

While this account of on-going history may not precisely address our
search for 'PD Exposure' it should, I hope,remind us that one person,
albeit with a huge heart, can make a real difference.

Info Source:  The Terry Fox Foundation-A Brief History

Jack Orrell