I asked my neuro to write a letter to the DMV NJ stating that I was disabled
and needed a wheelchair when I arrived at my distinations.  (he said nothing
about not being able to drive)

I submitted the same to NY.

I now have a NJ  AND  NY  placards for the dashboard.  That way I can use it
on different cars.  With a license plate I could not.   In NY you can list 10
different license plates so you can use it with your car,  any other family
car or even friend or companion cars.   It equal to DIPLOMATIC PLATES in NYC!!

DMV NJ send me a DISABLE PERSON ID showing the placard # and my DRIVING
LICENSE #.    I keep this together with my DLicense and registration.

(BTW, we take the placard with us when we go overseas and in checking with
local policemen (or women) we have ALWAYS been given full local handicap
parking rights.)

Joyce