In Jan'96 I got a handicapped tag for Michel.  He had just returned home
from months in a rehab center, and one of the things we did before he
left was to ask the center to do the paperwork for the tag, since Michel
was not able to walk.  I took the paperwork to the BMV and got the tag
with no trouble.  The doctor indicated permanent disability, and the tag
is permanent but must be renewed every four years.  I think that means
that renewal is very simple and does not need another doctor's OK, but
since four years aren't up, I don't yet know.  No charge.  I don't know
if it would have been more difficult to get handicapped plates, because I
didn't ask.

No questions were asked about driving.  Michel hadn't been driving for
over a year, but still had (has) a valid licence.  There is a question on
Indiana driver's licence applications about disability, and I think
Michel fudged on that one the last time he got his licence renewed.
Mine is up for renewal this year, and I'll make a point of noting what
exactly is asked.

Teresa Marcy