JGH3651 wrote:

> I am looking for information on the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.  I know
> this has been done successfully for tremor but I am considering it for
> rigidity and a different area of the brain is targeted.  I would appreciate
> hearing from anyone who has had this surgery or has information about it.
> Thanks.
> Debby HurlbertDear Debby
I had bi lateral STN Surgery six months ago.The surgery has been done to
the sub thalamic nucleus and should not be confused with surgery to the
globus palidus as this is an alternative site with very different
results.  The first thing to point out is the results will really not be
apparent for at least three months as the voltage has to be adjusted and
everyone is different.  I am really only begining to feel human again
and the bradykenisia or stiffness has gone. I still take medication for
the tremor in my legs which is worse than before the surgery but the
medication has been reduced by half. I am, by all accounts looking and
feeling better, although I have my good days and bad days but with none
of the complications of before. Overall I am stilll evaluating the
results and the jury is still out on the long term benifits.  Professor
Benabid of Grenoble maintains that the electrolosus eventually burns the
glutamate from the brain cells thus arresting the progress of the
Parkinson's. I hope his theory is correct.  It is a long and taxing
operation(12 hours in my case)so if your prepared for that and the
tuning to follow I wish you every succcess.

Peter Dawkins 51-STN bilateral(hot wired)