On  Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:20:58 +0000
Jeremy Browne <[log in to unmask]>
stated with conviction:

>With regard to the problem of unauthorised (mostly young) users of
>disabled parking bays, I have printed some (very sticky) labels, with a
>picture of a wheelchair crossed out, and the words: Please display a
>valid parking permit when parking in disabled spaces!

Jeremy,

I do something similar, but the problem is a bit more complicated at the
university. Because of the campus traffic monitors hardly anybody parks in a
handicapped space without a hanger or handicapped plates. The problem is,
based on my own observation over the past eight years, that approximately
one third of the vehicles parked in these spaces are being driven by
perfectly healthy looking students in their late teens/early 20s. Although
there may be a few legitimate cases I would say that the student is driving
the car of a handicapped parent. I have complained about this to the
university authorities, but they say they can do nothing unless the traffic
monitor personally observes the person driving the car parking there.

Now I personally have observed over 200 incidences  during the past eight
years and yet not a single violation notice has been issued. I have
suggested one solution to the authorities but they have yet to do anything.
Except for a couple of visitor parking lots, all vehicles on campus must
display a university parking hanger. There are two different types: students
and faculty/staff. My suggestion was that those students or faculty/staff
who were handicapped be either issued a special hanger or a sticker to place
on the regular hanger. I am sure the cost of doing this would be minimal and
the university already has an office to provide services to the handicapped
(signers, note-takers, etc.).

So far the university has not responded to my suggestions so I use the
post-it solution the same as you.

Bruce
56/9
Sinemet CR & Mirapex