Hm, I don't really know how to handle this... You might remember that I
told you about meeting a woman this past summer, and that she didn't seem
to mind my being ill? Well, then we both thought it was MS, and that was
OK by her. When I wrote her and said that it was PD, she broke down
completely. My letter was written in a positive mood, and I really think
this is better: there are pills that help against the symptoms, and a lot
of research going on. But for her this was worse than MS, because her
grandfather died when she was 11, and he had been very handicapped during
the last years. So for her PD is something terrible! You know, it's not
easy for a child to have a nuanced(?) image of an illness, no matter
which... Those images often stay with us as we grow older.

Stupidly, we never swapped phonenumbers, just addresses, so right now
she's in Israel working, and I'm in Sweden. Only means of contact:
letters. I sent her a letter this past Friday, with my number in it and
an "order" to call me Collect Call as soon as she gets the letter. I
enclosed a short explanation of what Parkinson's is, and a newsclipping
describing a new research project that sounds promising. (I found them at
www.parkinsons.org, I think)

So, how am I going to make her understand that there is hope? I mean, I
_do_ intend to listen to her. I will not tell her that she is stupid to
be worried, because she has every right to be. Plus, if she hadn't
worried, _I_ would have been a bit worried, I think.... Her worrying
shows that she truly cares for me. I just hope her love is strong enough
to survive this. If she leaves me I don't know what to do.
Ok, I won't kill myself over it, but it would be one of the worst
possible things that could happen.... To make matters worse, she hasn't
written a single word to me since the desperately unhappy letter I
recieved 4-5 days ago.

/John.