My local newspaper carried an article today whose theme is quite familiar
to those aware of the politics of medicine.  Bemoaning the disparity in
funding medical research, the banner declared:

    " In Ohio, funding for AIDS research is 30 times greater
    than for heart disease research, even though more
    people die of cardiovascular disease."

Quoting the newspaper:

     YOUNGSTOWN- After a decade of
    standing silently by while medical research
    dollars were poured into other areas, the
    American Heart Association says it wants
    to see more money pumped into research
    for heart disease and stroke, the leading
    causes of death and disability in both Ohio
    and the nation.

     "We think there is a drastic disparity in
    funding for cardiovascular disease as
    compared to other disease states," said Dr.
    Gregory Mazanek, a cardiologist and ~
    president of the Mahoning/ Northern
    Columbiana chapter of the heart
    association.

     Protest: He said the local chapters
    are joining with other heart association
    chapters statewide to pro
    test a steady decrease - some $300
    million - in federal funding provided
    for heart disease and stroke research
    since 1986.

     While heart disease and stroke are
    the top killers and cripplers among
    Ohioans, they rank at the bottom of
    the list when it comes to federal
    funding for research, Mazanek said.

     He said $1,129 a year, per every
    death related to heart disease, is
    spent for medical research in that
    area, and only $723 is per death, per
    year, is spent for stroke , research.
    Those numbers are -far below the
    $4,600 spent for cancer and
    diabetes, and not even close to the
    $31,381 spent on AIDS research,
    he said.

     Goal: The heart association's
    goal is to persuade the federal
    government to double its funding
    for heart disease and stroke research
    by 2002, Mazanek said.

     "We think education is the
    answer," he said, pointing out that
    the association has failed to speak
    out about the funding disparity until
     now. "We have to speak up and
    make people aware."

     He said the funding disparity
    "just doesn't make sense," and said
    the heart association needs to push
    harder for more money.

  Sid Roberts   68/dx3
  [log in to unmask]       Youngstown, Ohio