Janet spoke of emotions as separating or distinguishing us from other mammals
with the following lines

emotions are what separate us from other mammals
they comprise the essence of our humanity
and i believe that they most frequently
are a result of instinctive cognition
rather than intellectual cognition
so they may seem 'mysterious'
at times

i observe - perceive - that janet may not have watched the chimpanzees,
gorillas, orang utans, and many other of our phylogeny
or has not recalled some of what she knows
(quoting more from janet)

i suspect that the challenge of the mystery is
the more you learn
the more you learn how much more there is to learn!

>perhaps I am lucky to have this budding insight,
>some people do not seem to think about life at all,
>they somehow seem to take it all for granted.
>(Do I make any sense at all?)

you make a lot of sense to me
i feel that pd has been given to me as a 'wake-up' call
and forced me to take a good long look at my life and myself

a lot of people don't want to do that
because it's a lot of hard work

>Hugs to you all, and thank you for helping me.

hugs back, and thanks as well
the helping here is bi-directional!

of course, helping (caring, loving, giving what is needed) is bi-directional

"where" are those who love their neighbors as they love themselves
when they feel guilt, disgust, remorse et cetera about their self?

consciousness
cognition-of-self-alive-in-the-homo-sapiens-group-with-verbal-symbolic-abstracting-memory-capability
may be a better word-label for the evolving trait that is different in our species

that capability is scary if one looks inside to "know thyself" as the ancient
greek advised

those greeks learned a lot
even though it's all greek to me
i learned a little latin which rest on greek which rests on phoenician and
persian and indian and egyptian and ....
i like to learn

i like alfred korzybski's book "science and sanity: an introduction to
non-aristotlean systems and general semantics
because his insights helped me to perceive more clearly

he conjectured beyond his knowledge
some of that conjecture was not clarified
many suppressed what he wrote
but his influence still lives

ISGS - International Society for General Semantics - Home Page
http://www.crl.com/~isgs/isgshome.html

attitude is contagious
have a good one

ron
--
Ron Vetter 1936, 1984 PD dz   'paradise is where you make it, not a place to go'
e-mail: [log in to unmask]                  janet paterson