On Wednesdy December 10th Bob Chapman raised the interesting question of
of possibly being "wrongfully terminated" because of politics. At the
same time he admits his job performance has been affected due to PD
symptoms such as memory loss and fatigue.

Bob's case reflects my own when I was diagnosed in June 1996 after
serving as Executive Director of a University Association for 23 years.
Perhaps because of my age ( almost 63 at the time ) and good pension
credits accumulated my immediate reaction was to volunteer for early
retirement and work out with my Board of Directors a reasonable
settlement. Financially it worked out better than I thought since with
input from my employer and medical input from my neurosurgeon I was able
to claim for long-term disability benefits, which, although only 60% of
my prior salary, is actually more in " take-home pay " since it is
non-taxable. I am not sure what the tax status is under the U.S.
Internal Revenue Code, but it is an option worth looking into.

Looking back on it I feel I made the right decision. If I had remained
on the job, there is no question my productivity was being negatively
affected. Sure I miss the work environment but I go into the office
periodically and provide some words of wisdom to my replacement which I
helped to recruit. My so-called leisure time is devoted to a fruitful
concerted drug and exercise program. Besides, you need more hours in the
day just to keep up with the interesting dialogue on the Parkinson's
Information Exchange!

Ken Clements   " [log in to unmask]          Ottawa. CANADA