At 03:54 PM 12/12/97 EST, you wrote:

>I would greatly appreciate it if members of the list would
>refrain from attempting to send oversize messages to the
>listserver.  Such messages would include 1) replies that
>include previous digest outputs which themselves are already
>large, 2) word processor files which make no sense since they
>aren't in ASCII text format anyway, 3) images, which can only be
>read with the appropriate software, and 4) other extremely large
>messages.

Oh yes Norm, I anguish when I see a new member try to reply to a whole digest at one time...but we were all new to computers at one time and eventually we learned the 'proper' way to post and reply to the list.

And on the file attachments saved in unique word processor formats, It's a shame that those doing all of that fine work...don't consider that this list is read on many platforms, unix, Mac and PCs....and each is not compatible with the other. All of that work is only viewable to those who have that kind of machine, on which it was created, and a program that will convert that particular wordprocessor format to something readable.

Ascii is probably a term not too familiar with many...but text may be. If they would save their documents in the Text format, it could be readable to all...regardless of the type of computer the beholder has.

Fancy fonts, tabs, and line wrap aren't compatible across different platforms also. Text with columns will not display and print, like the author intended unless the Courier or fixed pitch font is used and spaces are used between the columns instead of tabs.

Most mail programs will include attached text files in the body of the message rather than creating a separate attachment which may have to be opened and viewed with another program. If the creators, save their document as text, this feature can be enabled.

Since our list is a high volume list, not many read each message and miss a lot....tidbits of information that may be needed later. This is the beauty of the archives, we can search out those tidbits of information...almost from creation. This can be done online at: http://james.parkinsons.org.uk

One man's meat is another man's poison. Postings are like that, which amass in the archives. Our International members have charges increase as the amount of mail and other information downloads increase. Their phone call to their ISP to retrieve their mail costs extra also. What is the alternative? Well, we are just here on earth for a season, parkinsn members are also and the path to the archives goes by every parkinsn member's mailbox. Pizza coupons trashed yesterday may be needed tomorrow..so we have the archive. While every post is not necessarily applicable to everyone..one day someone will want to be able to recall what was said about the topic of the day on November 30th, 1993.

We go through phases...topics come and go but we are a lively forum. We are making history. I wouldn't be anywhere else. :)

[log in to unmask]    That man may last, but never lives,
                    Who much receives, but nothing gives;
HomeBoy #Parkinsons  Whom none can love, whom none can thank,
                      Creation's blot, creation's blank.
John Cottingham        Thomas Gibbons (1720-1785):
                        When Jesus dwelt.