--------------38F25307C5523D0C9714CBE9

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:57:57 -0200
From: Joao Paulo Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: an explanation perhaps

Ronald F. Vetter wrote:

> Several have asked about how the destroying of portions of thalamus or
> pallidum can make things better. I am not an expert, but I will attempt an "overview

> There is the analogy of a thermostat operating a control circuit. It seems
> that the signals from the thalamus and pallidum must be controlled by the
> neurons of the substancia nigra that connect to the thalamus and pallidum. If
> they do not inhibit the over-signalling that causes tremor or rigidity, we
> tremor or move with difficulty.  The dopamine shortage is helped by the
> medication.
>
> The surgical lesioning stops the circuits that are sending "static" (too much signalling).
>
> The implanted electrical stimulators are countering the static by signal wave interference.

Thanks for your excelent presentention on the subject Ronald.I would like to make some comments
about it.

The point I would like to make is that research should be concetrated now in how to "control
the circuit (or circuits)with to much signalling (or little of it)",as effectivelly but
partially done by surgical lesions or implanted electrical stimulators.

I suppose that  this will be better than the continous increase of the intake of levodopa as PD
progress.

Regards,

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+