  Michael Claeys, PAN's Community Outreach Coordinator, (800) 850-4726  email

"Thanks to Sid Roberts for posting the article from his local newspaper
regarding the efforts of the American Heart Association to increase the
amount of federal funding for heart disease research.  The concept of a
"funding disparity" at NIH is something everyone in the Parkinson's
community should certainly be familiar with.

The tragic reality of today's federal research budget is that sick
Americans are forced into a position of having to compete with one
another for scarce resources.  This is a cruel and short-sighted
approach--and the time for change has come.

The American Heart Association should be applauded for its efforts to
reach their goal of doubling heart disease research funding by 2002.  In
the zero-sum game of the finite federal research budget, however, heart
disease's gain will inevitably mean somebody else's loss.  As advocates
for increased Parkinson's research funding, how many times have you been
asked "Where's the money going to come from?" or "Who do we take it
from, Cancer, Alzheimer's, AIDS?"

The Parkinson's community has achieved a great victory in passage of the
Udall Act, but now we face the task of securing the additional funds to
reach the full $100 million authorization.  How do we do it while heart
disease and every other deserving disease group tries to do the same
thing?

One way might be, like the old saying goes, "If you can't beat 'em, join
'em."  In 1998 there needs to be a concerted national effort to double
the amount of federal research funding, not just for Parkinson's or
heart disease, but double the entire NIH budget!  Disease advocacy
groups need to come together in the recognition that working for a
united goal will benefit everyone far more than for each to work just in
their own interest.  The combined resources of all the powerful patient
advocacy groups will be able to galvanize public support in a way that
lawmakers will be unable to resist.  Think of it, who doesn't know
somebody who suffers from a disease or disability that could benefit
from increased medical research?

And it can be done!  America is the richest, most technologically
proficient and most innovative nation on earth.  In this time of
relative peace and growing prosperity, can't we afford to make an
investment in the health of our citizens?  In 1998, the entire NIH
budget will be about $13.65 billion--that's less than half the cost of
one B-2 bomber!  And what is that compared to the hundreds of billions
spent each year to care for our sick family members and friends?

We need to continue our efforts to secure full funding of the Udall Act
in 1998, and a part of that effort should be to convince the American
people and our elected officials that 1998 will be the year we double
the NIH budget.  Bare in mind that doubling NIH will not necessarily
mean the automatice doubling of every catagory of research.  Rather, it
will mean the availability of greatly increased resources for those
research areas, like Parkinson's, that have long suffered under the
current system.  Furthermore, being out front and visible in the drive
to double NIH will further raise both public and Congressional awareness
of Parkinson's, those who suffer with it, and the promise of the cure.

No stone will be left unturned in the pursuit of appropriations to fully
fund the Udall Act in 1998 and 1999, and that includes the effort to
help ourselves while helping all Americans living with disease.

Journalist Morton Kondracke and PBS have produced a video documentary,
"the Politics of Medicine," which takes an unflinching look at the
realities of federal medical research funding.  This enlightening video
features interviews with many of the nation's leading biomedical reserch
advocates in Congress, the NIH, and the patient advocacy community.  In
addition to being a recognized advocate for Parkinson's disease (his
wife Milly has Parkinson's), Kondracke is one of the leaders in the
movement to double the NIH budget.  VHS copies of "The Politics of
Medicine" are available for purchase or loan through the Parkinson's
Action Network at (800) 850-4726.  Those wishing to purchase a tape are
asked to make a $10.00 contribution to cover shipping and reproduction
costs.

Please address any additional questions, comments or requests to Michael
Claeys, PAN's Community Outreach Coordinator, (800) 850-4726 or email