On the topic of pets showing emotion....I haven't heard my dog laugh but I
certainly saw him do it.  Pepper is almost 11 months old and this week we
had our first significant snowfall.  When I took him out for his before
bed stroll the night of the snowstorm, he literally jumped straight up in
the air.  He travelled farther vertically than horizontally.  He had found
his element and loved it.  Pepper is a Siberian Husky (and golden
retriever, we think) so he is a BIG puppy (as Ernie and Julia Peters and
Ann Rutherford can confirm since he tried to sit on Julia's and Ann's laps
when they were visiting me).  I had hesitated about taking him outside
that evening because I'm no longer sure footed about walking in the snow
and my husband, John, had taken Pepper out earlier and said that the pup
pulled on the leash so much and so hard that John nearly fell.  Pepper
never does that when I take him nor did he do it that night.  Pepper will
go down the two steps of our back porch and then sit until I get down.  He
also sits patiently while I fumble about attaching his leash.  We think he
knows that I am not as quick or steady as others and makes allowances for
it.  Although he was an 'unplanned' puppy in more than one way (my
daughter brought him home 'just for a few days'), he has certainly
brightened our lives and increased my mobility because of our late
evening strolls.

We also have two four and a half year old cats who can quite clearly show
their disgust at us for allowing a dog in their house.  PD causes the
muscles in my left leg to cramp especially in the evening after work and
dinner are over and it's time to relax with a book or newspaper.  One of
the cats will sit on my lap and knead that muscle for as long as I can
stand it.

I really think pets help us more than we help them.  I can't imagine our
home without them.

About massage therapy...I agree that it's great.  I've only tried it once
but my leg, in fact, my whole body felt terrific afterward.  I haven't
felt as relaxed in years.  My biggest problem was how to stay awake until
it was time to go to bed. The real big problem is that our provincial health
insurance doesn't cover it and the insurance through McMaster only covers
$15 for each session and each session costs $60 so it's way too expensive
for me.  I can highly recommend it for those of us with muscle rigidity
especially if the cost is covered by a medical plan.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing