Here in California there was no problem about driving when Neal applied for
a handicapped parking permit. Our family doctor filled out a form and Neal
sent it in with the required fee. There were still two years left on his
drivers license but no questions were asked by the DMV. The parking permit
was renewed by mail when the first year was up.

In spite of having a valid license, however, he and I had already decided he
should no longer drive before we applied for the special permit. Aside from
the problem of his muscles tensing and relaxing causing the car to hop like
a flea down the road, he was also having a vision problem that may be unique
to PD. When he turned his head to the side to check for traffic, his eyes
didn't follow his head movement quite fast enough. He decided it was not
safe to drive at that point and when his license expired he did not renew
it.

Incidentally, the California handicap parking tag also provides that gas
station attendants serve these drivers, even at self-serve pumps.

Martha Rohrer  CG for Neal, 77/12