Edie, I can help! I have had  a few root canals done by my dentist.Dr Larry
Stein.   After the area is numbed with Novacain, or whatever is used these
days, the worst pain I have felt during a root canal, has been no worse than
having a fingertip jabbed with a pin, for a couple of seconds!  The fear of
root canal is not justified! I assume it was worse before modern techniques
were available.  After the first session, the nerve is gone, so you feel
nothing!  I would guess you could have anesthesia, and sleep through the whole
procedure, if you don't want any pain at all, other than the pain of paying
the bill!  Ken B