Nancy,

Generic drugs are regulated by the FDA and are supposed to be bioequivalent
(having the same action in the body).  For the most part this is true.  However
in some rare cases while the drug may be the same the preparation is different
(e.g. packed so tight that it is not absorbed.  When I was practicing I
prescribed generically and had little trouble.  I personally take generic
sinemet and have had no trouble with it.  It is quite a bit less expensive.

In general my advise to people who wish to switch to a generic drug is be aware
that changes either way may occur but are unlikely.  Remember with PD our
symptoms are constantly fluctuating so don't jump to conclusions too fast.  Also
one should try to stay on a generic made by the same company from prescription
to prescription.

Drug companies make a tremendous mark up on their drugs.  They are entitled to
recoup their losses on drugs that haven't panned out and their development
costs.  You can be sure that after that they take a significant profit.  They
attempt to convince us that there are significant benefits by taking their brand
but that is very rarely true.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.