In the same manner as a group in Dallas, Texas, which was described in a
missive of December 13th from Will Kniper, the PARKINSON'S SOCIETY OF
OTTAWA-CARLETOON provides membership support for exercise programs.
Classes are held weekly for both Physio and Tai-Chi in a training room
which is located in one of the buildings of the Ottawa Civic Hospital
where the Society's offices are located. I have participated in both and
find them first-rate.

The former program is complemented by a 35-minute video which was
produced specifically for persons with Parkinson's. It can be easily
followed in a chair at home. The leader is a Helen Zipes, a well-known
physiotherapist in our nation's capital. It is sold to the public at a
reasonable cost ( especially since it is in Canadian dollars! ) of $12
for the video, plus $3.50 for mailing in Canada, $5 for the USA, and
$9.50 for other international destinations. Orders can be filled by
cheque, money order, or charges to a Visa or Master card. Just request a
copy of the video entitled YOUR BODY IS MADE FOR MOVEMENT and forward to
:
                        Parkinson's Society of Ottawa-Carleton
                        1053 Carling Avenue
                        Ottawa ON Canada K1Y 4E9
                        Tel. ( 613 ) 722-9238
                        E-mail < [log in to unmask] >

My recent involvement with Tai-Chi put me into contact with a Bob Klein
who heads up the Long Island School of Tai-Chi-CCh'uan which is located
at 87 Tyler Avenue, Sound Beach, NY 11789, tel. (516) 744-5999, E-mail <
[log in to unmask] >. I borrowed one of his videos from the Ottawa
Public Library which was well-done. This lead can be followed up by
clicking on their web site of < httpt:://nsws.com/tai-chi >.

Hope this helps. It would interesting to hear of any experiences with
Tai-Chi and whether one of two programs is better for "parkies". My
reaction to-date after spending over a year with a concerted physio
therapy program is that the Tai-Chi exercises, at least some of them is
a good ccmbination.

Ken Clements                < [log in to unmask]

64/2                         Ottawa, CANADA