Hello Lionel, Ken, Jeremy, Jeff, Dennis, Bruce, David, Linda:
This is to thank you all for your kind advice and help in my lonely
crusade to get rid of the Times New Roman default in MS Word. And to
advise that I'm giving up. We lost. The Microsucks people have
provided for setting font default, both single document and global,
for regular text and for header lines. But there is a third category,
New Paragraph Font default which they have set as Times New Roman,
that seems to be absolutely bulletproof. You may alter the first two
via Format/Style/Modify, but for the third one, the "Modify" button
is blanked out. So if you inadvertently let MS Word think you are
starting a new paragraph, Times New Roman butts in and you must once
more endure the point-click-point-click-point-click etc. routine to
get rid of it. Dennis's idea to alter the "new paragraph" marker
sounded good, but didn't work. Somewhere in there MS Word responds
in effect, "this feature is built-in, you may NOT change it". I've no
idea why they did that, as it has no useful purpose; perhaps they only
wanted to thumb their nose at us humble consumers and remind us that
(for the near future) they are the boss. Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013