Ken:

I have found T'ai Chi very helpful.  I began with T'ai Chi when I first
started having problems with PD (about 6 years ago, but I didn't know I had
PD then).
When I don't practice for a few days, I really notice the difference in
increased body stiffness, leg cramping, and lower energy level.  I have
found a direct relationship between increased energy and T'ai Chi practice.

Right now I'm alternating on an almost daily basis a  (1) saber form
repeated 2-3 times preceded by a "short form" of 54 movements with (2) the
traditional Yang 108 movement form.  Both practices 1 & 2 take about 30
minutes.  Because of PD, my speed is a little different than others.  The
saber form is a faster form than the free hand form, but I tend to do it
slower.  When I'm doing the free hand form (which is done slowly), I tend
to speed things up too much if I've taken all my medications before
starting my practice.

I usually wake up without an alarm after about 4 1/2 - 5 hours of sleep,
because my body hurts and I'm very stiff.  I stumble to the kitchen, take
my Sinemet CR & Eldepryl with Orange juice, and then say my morning prayers
while sitting in a rocking chair while my body loosens up.  Lately I've
been trying Father Keating's method of Centering Prayer.  It seems to
relate well to my T'ai Chi Practice.  After about 30 minutes, I begin the
slow practice of T'ai Chi.

I delay taking my first dose of Parlodel & Amantadine until after T'ai Chi,
when I eat a light breakfast.  They help me get to work and during the day.
But I have found that if I take all my medications before doing T'ai Chi,
it tends to make me feel aggressive rather than energized in a positive
way.

I recommend doing T'ai Chi in the morning.  Because it increases my energy
level, it makes my sleeping problems more difficult if I do it in the
evening.  I meet with a local T'ai Chi group once or twice a week.  Tonight
I practiced with them from about 7:30 to 9:00 PM.  Which is probably why
I'm still up wide awake on the internet after midnight.  I enjoy the
company of the group and their encouragement.  But the best time for me to
do T'ai Chi is about 6:00 AM facing the sunrise through the large window in
my living room.  I then feel better and am more productive during the day.

Learning T'ai Chi type exercises from a tape is probably ok.  But I don't
think that you can actually learn the traditional forms without a qualified
instructor.  Learning with a supportive group is best.  For people with
more advanced PD, I'd recommend about 10-15 minutes of basic T'ai Chi
exercises 2-3 times a day rather than attempting to do a traditional form.

I've become a firm believer in the reality of Chi energy.  I think that the
fact that I began T'ai Chi when I first began having PD problems has
delayed its progress in me.  I think that it's unfortunate that most
Western medical practitioners don't know anything about it.  My current
family doc encourages bringing Eastern & Western medical practice together.
My neurologist encourages exercise, but he uses a chemical approach to PD.
I think that T'ai Chi, especially early on with PD, is well worth the
time & effort.  Just don't
expect immediate results.  PWP need medications.  But those medications
will probably work better if combined with T'ai Chi (since it is both an
internal & external exercise).

Charley Countryman 46/6 (4 years with medication)