hiredgun wrote:

> I have come across several articles indicating a connection between
> movement disorders and the drug buspirone (Buspar).  Does anyone know
> about the possibility of Parkinson's being induced by this drug.  I
> was on Buspar for 13 months and was diagnosed with PD about a year
> after beginning to take Buspar.  I was diagnosed at the age of 27 and
> I believe that my PD may be drug induced.
>     Thank you.
>                     Rich
According to p. 709 of my (1995) PDR, Buspirone (an anxiolytic unrelated
to the more common sedatives) can bind to central dopamine receptors.
Therefore a "question" has been raised about its potential to cause
acute and chronic changes in dopamine-mediated neurological function
(eg, dystonia, pseudoparkinsonism, akathisia, and tardive dyskinesia).

I'm no expert, but it sounds mighty suspicious to me. You didn't say
how long it is now since your PD diagnosis, i.e., how "chronic" is it?

Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road