        Please excuse me if I'm repeating old info. But I'm just getting
back on the list after being off it for several months.
        Even though I consider myself well into middle age (going on 47), I
consider myself a younger person with Parkinson's.  Since middle age is
probably when most people are realistically able to begin serious
retirement planning, coming down with Parkinson's at the time you're at
your employment peak can make life difficult.  If you are a worker in the
U.S., the ADA Law (Americans w/Disabilities Act) can be of great value in
dealing with some difficult situations.
       My experience is that there is often a problem in application of the
ADA when dealing with disabilities, such as Parkinson's, that don't have a
simple solution such as making physical adjustments to the work site. My
experience as a union shop steward is that it is often easier to deal with
upper level managment about ADA issues (who have lawyers giving them
advice) than with lower and middle management.  With lower and middle
management you have to be prepared to advise them of what the ADA law
requires.
        You cann't be shy about giving this advise.  They may not believe
you. But if they have some common sense, they'll check out your advise with
their sources.  I'm writing this from home, but next week I'll post some
ADA info web sites that I have on my PC at work.
        I recommend that you immediately contact your union representative
(if you have it) and/or an attorney with expertise in ADA issues, if
Parkinson's related work problems begin and management seems reluctant to
make reasonable
accommodation.  You will be alot better off doing this while still employed
rather than after being let go.

                                  Charley Countryman  [log in to unmask]