At 08:37 AM 12/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>    The FDA's  reply to Dr. Reichert refers only to NADH's use for
>Alzheimer's and memory loss, and ignores its potential for alleviating PD
>symptoms.  In Dr. Georg D. Birkmayer's pamphlet, "NADH, The Energizing
>Co-Enzyme" (MENUCO Corporation, 1996, p.19), there is mention of an
>Alzheimer's study under Dr. Stanley Cohan, Chairman, Dept. of Neurology,
>Georgetown University.There is also mention of  an NADH study on Chronic
>Fatigue Syndrome by Drs. Joseph Bellanti (Director, Immunology) and Harry
>Preuss (Nephrology), also at Georgetown.

Dr. Birkmayer's writings are prone to hyperbole and thus far Menuco's marketing of NADH as a food supplement seem to skirt the serious investigation that a serious compound would solicit. Research takes money to fund and we haven't seen Menuco step forward and file for a new drug application. There is no 'free lunch'... a compound has to show promise in the petri dish, in animals and in humans to be successful. The FDA requires that the rules of the study be approved and the test compounds be pure.

NADH as it is now is unstable and Birkmayer's results reported in his studies haven't been duplicated. The only thing for sure is that at its' best NADH occasionally provides the benefit of an agonist, which increases the levodopa response.

The marketplace for agonists is crowded and the 'NADH effect' is in your pharmacy now, with their purity and efficacy already approved.

[log in to unmask]     Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                     http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
HomeBoy #Parkinsons   For a drug information list from the archives
                       send a message to: [log in to unmask] On the
John Cottingham         Subject: line put Send Drug Information